LIST* The Most Stolen Cars Of 2017
The National Insurance Crime Bureau's annual “Hot Wheels” report reveals last year’s most stolen vehicles
- The National Insurance Crime Bureau just released their annual “Hot Wheels” reports, identifying the ten most stolen vehicles in the country
- Last year’s most stolen vehicle was actually a 1998 Honda Civic, with 6,707 of them nabbed
- The most stolen 2017 model was a Nissan Altima with 1,153 vehicles stolen
When parking your car on the street there’s always a little worry that someone may try to steal it, and if you own certain vehicles you have a particularly good reason to be concerned. The National Insurance Crime Bureau just released their annual "Hot Wheels" reports, identifying the ten most stolen vehicles in the country, and it turns out, if you have a newer model car you can rest a little easier.
Overall, the Honda Civic tops the list of the most stolen vehicle, but it isn't a newer models that thieves are nabbing. It seems older, pre-“smart key” cars are more likely to get stolen simply because it’s easier and they lack anti-theft technology. According to the “Hot Wheels” reports, it's the 1998 Honda Civic that's last year's most stolen vehicle, with 6,707 of them nabbed. In comparison, of the newer 2017 Civics, only 388 were stolen.
Top Ten Most Stolen Vehicles Last Year
- Honda Civic, 1998 (6,707)
- Honda Accord, 1997 (6,301)
- Ford Pick-Up (Full Size), 2006 (3,151)
- Chevrolet Pick-Up (Full Size), 2004 (1,907)
- Toyota Camry, 2017 (1,100)
- Nissan Altima, 2016 (1,450)
- Toyota Corolla, 2106 (1,012)
- Dodge Pick-Up (Full Size), 2001 (1,242)
- GMC Pickup (Full Size), 2017 (957)
- Chevrolet Impala 2008 (991)
As for 2017 vehicles, the Nissan Altima is the most stolen new model car, with 1,153 stolen last year, followed by Toyota Camry, with 1,100 stolen cars.
Top Ten Most Stolen 2017 Vehicles Last Year
- Nissan Altima (1,153)
- Toyota Camry (1,100)
- GMC Pickup (Full Size) (957)
- Hyundai Elantra (929)
- Ford Fusion (874)
- Ford Pickup (Full Size) (842)
- Ram Pickup (835)
- Toyota Corolla (832)
- GMC Savana (774)
- Hyundai Sonata (759)
- Well, that certainly gives me a reason to buy a new car…
- Was your car stolen last year? What kind of car do you drive? Was it supposed to have anti-theft technology? Was it ever recovered?
- Do you worry about your car being stolen? What steps do you take to try and prevent your car from being swiped?