America Chooses Its Favorite Halloween Candy; Plus, Experts Reveal The Healthiest & Least Healthy Candy
October 29, 2020
- The Bottom Line:“Today” show viewers voted in a “Bracktween” challenge to pick the favorite Halloween candy
- In the final round Snickers edged out Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups for the win
- Plus, two experts have revealed the healthiest and least healthy Halloween candies
- Source: Today
When it comes to Halloween candy, everyone has their favorite, but now viewers of the "Today" show have spoken and chosen the all time favorite Halloween candy and you may be surprised by the results.
The show held a “Bracketween” challenge pitting 16 candies against each other, and in the final round it was a battle between Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and Snickers, with Snickers just edging things out for the win with 52% of the vote.
But just because a candy is your favorite, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s good for you (although who is really thinking about their health on Halloween). “Today” asked two nutrition experts Mia Syn, registered dietitian nutritionist, and Brigid Titgemeier, a functional nutrition registered dietitian, to pick the three best and worst candies from this year’s “Sweet Sixteen,” so you may want to keep this in mind as you are chowing down on your kids’ candy this Saturday.
According to Syn, the healthiest candy choices are:
- PayDay – With the highest amount of protein and even some fiber it may keep you more satisfied, keeping you from going back for more.
- Twizzlers – Although it has a lot of sugar, it has zero grams of saturated fat.
- York Peppermint Patties – They have the lowest amount of saturated fat of all the candies.
Titgemeier agrees about with two of Syn’s choices:
- Peppermint Patties – It’s mostly made with real ingredients and natural flavors.
- 100 Grand – Because “they do not have questionable artificial ingredients.”
- PayDay - They contain carrageenan, which could help with digestive issues.
As for the least healthy choices, Syn picks
- 3 Musketeers – It's the highest in saturated fat and sugar.
- Mounds – It's also high in saturated fat.
- Skittles – Among the highest in sugar with no nutritional value.
- M&Ms – They are loaded with artificial coloring
- Skittles – For similar reasons as Syn, plus she points out their artificial colors and flavors.
- Starburst – They are loaded with sugar, plus they have a ton of artificial colors and flavors.